Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Oppps I almost forgot...I'm an English Teacher!!

So I realize that I have neglected to write a blog post about what I actually do here in Korea. I have been so wrapped up in all of my enjoyment of Korea I forgot that to write about what I actually do here! So, I moved to Korea to become an ESL Teacher. ESL Teacher's are very popular here, because many students want to learn English. Actually, English is required by many Korean schools and many students have to take an English test along with their college admissions applications. So basically learning English is pretty important and I'm kind of a big deal as an English Teacher :)

I plant seeds of knowledge & watch them grow
 In Korea, students usually learn English in two settings: Public School and Hagwons. Hagwons are English academies where students go to learn English after school. It's very similar to a tutoring program, but it's a bit more structured. I work at a Hagwon and I must say I really enjoy it :) I think the best part of this job is that I come in contact with so many different students in one day.I have met some really amazing students that have taught me more than I could ever teach them. It's funny how teaching is such a cyclical process, in the process of teaching my students I learn lessons that cannot be found in a book and I'm forever grateful to my students for that :) My students have given this quote so much value: 
"By learning you will teach, by teaching you will learn." - Latin Proverb

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that you finally posted something about teaching. Never too late to start. ^_^

    ReplyDelete