Saturday, October 30, 2010

~*Dorothy was right, there's no place like home*~

I embarked on this journey to Korea with the intention on creating change in my life. I needed to get away. After a failed relationship, personal problems and graduating and not working in the field I intended, I started to feel aimless. (but now in hindsight, I know it was all worth it) Almost as if I was existing and not really living. My smile was starting to fade (which means change was necessary), because anybody that knows me, knows that there are two things you can always see me with: I always smile and I always wear a flower in my hair. It's my own simple way of inviting in happiness. Nonetheless, life in America just wasn't fun anymore. Of course, I had my family and friends but I had this urge to explore. To just pick up, buy a ticket to a new place and try to start a new life. Maybe you can say I was running away. But, I think of it as creating a new opportunity to manifest happiness. Afterall, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results. But I've said all this to say: I did it. Korea opened up the doors of opportunity and the happiness has been flooding in. I cannot even put into words the love, joy and freedom I feel here in Korea. Sometimes it seems so unreal

But, after being here for 8 months I was really starting to feel home sick. Not the kind of homesick that can be cured with a Skype conversation (although Skype saves my life every day). But the kind where I wanted to hug those people I talk to on Skype everyday, hug them so tightly and never let go. So, I bought a ticket home and I left two weeks later. Finally the day came when I was leaving. I stayed at my best friend's (so lucky to have her here, but I'll save that story for another entry) house the night before (because I knew I'd surely miss her, although I made up some excuse to stay over. opps maybe I shouldn't have wrote that since I'm sure she'll be reading this). And when I was heading to the airport, tears just stated flowing. I have no idea why. I guess I was just ready to get "home."

After 16 hours of traveling, three lay overs and a million and one security checks I was finally in Miami, FL!! My family met me there and all I could think was "Wow, I'm actually home!" It seemed so unreal. I was overwhelmingly happy to be back in the place I had "ran" from, just 8 months prior. Nonetheless, it felt so good to hug my family and just look at them in person. 

While at home I did all the things I could never do in Korea. I enjoyed foods that only exist in books in Korea and I reconnected with most of the people I love. (a week was too short to see everyone) 

In my 216 hours, 12, 960 mins or 777,600 secs (yes I calculated. It was that important.)

I: Read signs in English, just because they were in English. Walked on the beach. Talked to random strangers, just because they spoke English. Spent the night with a new friend. I had like 30 lunch dates. Kissed. Cried with my sister. Took random pictures. Partied hard with my girls. Sat on a balcony (we don't have those in Korea). Had like 20 heart to hearts. Shopped (like a lot). Connected with a new friend. Met the most beautiful person, and kept wondering why we had never met before. Gave a way gifts.Went to church. Held hands. Visited Tallahassee. Got a million compliments. Walked around Lake Ella under the moon light. Hugged my sisters for what felt like forever (best feeling). Connected with my family like never before. Dinner with one of my best friends. Enjoyed "easy conversations." Cried. Watched T.V. Listened to Pandora (man I wish it worked in Korea.) Took long showers. Smiled. Wore flowers in my hair. Saw her. Got my hair braided by one of my best friends. Ate my favoritest Jamaican dish ever: curry chicken and fried plantains. Walked around Publix (I love that place). Met a really sweet worker in Publix. Sunday Dinner with my family. Had a friend cook a special dish for me. Listened to new music. Drove with the windows down, while blasting my music. Caked (all the lovers out there know what I'm talking about). Talked on Skype. Had a random person call me beautiful. Laughed so hard until I couldn't breathe. Sang my heart out while driving. Hugged my mentor (great feeling). Picked flowers. Watched families interact. Chased a butterfly.

*And it's interesting because the whole time I was home, everyone kept telling me that I was glowing and how good I looked. Maybe it was because I had my smile back. I guess Korea does a girl good :-)


So I guess the saying is true: There is absolutely no place in the world like home. I've traveled to many countries, but I have yet to find another place that I can call home.


4 comments:

  1. Aww...this was a cute blog!! I wish you would have posted a few pictures of your travels back home. :-) We never truly realized how much we will miss the states but I know we are both glad we made the decision to embark on this journey of "getting our smile back."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog entry. I felt your spirit jump off the page...I guess you would call it. Anyway, I really enjoyed reading about your experiences. It's amazing to me, I honestly understood what you meant. A smile is a mirror to the soul, just like eyes. Stay in happiness, it's a wonderful feeling. Joy is indescribable. It's almost like exhaling. Sigh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww thanx ladies!! Ya'll are so sweet!
    @Toy so thankful to share this experience with you. I'll NEVER forget this year in Korea.

    @Dominique Girl I'm def staying in the happiness, it's the only place to be :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete